To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates leadership in providing and improving the delivery of nursing care.
- Manages nursing care delivery and staff development by participating in selecting, training, developing and orienting clinical staff.
- Implements and enforces LSU Healthcare Network policies and procedures
- Demonstrates ability to function effectively in DON role, which requires application of complex problem solving skills for problems and issues that affect the operation of LSUHN on their tour of duty and use team approaches to identify, analyze, and resolve problems.
- Displays leadership in identifying and evaluating issues that influence patient care, organizational processes, or systems to improve overall outcomes. •
- Assumes leadership role and fosters accountability in others for professional practice and improvement of patient care.
- Uses principles of risk management to identify systems issues, which influence patient care, and reports incidences ensuring that initiating incident reports and appropriate paperwork are initiated.
- Assists staff in following guidelines for planned change and in using quality improvement data when proposing change or improvement in nursing care.
- Demonstrates ability to analyze, implement and support health care systems, while promoting enhanced clinical skills and professional growth.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with staff and all departments.
- Work as a member of the clinical care team by providing patient care when applicable.
Ability to supervise Medical Assistants/Technicians/Technologists, Licensed Practical Nurses and Registered Nurses.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Diploma from an Accredited Licensed Practical Nursing Program Required. BSN preferred.
- Current Louisiana LPN or RN license required.
- 3 years of hospital or clinic supervisory experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of HIPAA privacy rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel Spreadsheets, Windows, databases, graphs and the ability to write reports and correspondence by using proficient grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Able to speak effectively before patients or employees of the organization.
- Ability to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with facility personnel, patients, and the public.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, and decision-making in meeting department and institutional objectives.
While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or control; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 25-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.