Patient Service Representative
Location: Kenner , LA
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Courteously and professional greet and communicate with patients, providers, and LSUHN staff at all times.
- Enhances organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Has a pleasant and friendly attitude.
- Highly developed sense of integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction.
- Proactively address and assist with customer service resolution.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing.
- Answers clinic telephones, responds to patient inquiries, and obtains detailed messages.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities in an effective and organized manner.
- Obtain and update patient demographics, insurance, and/or financial information.
- Register, verify insurance, and assemble patient medical charts in preparation for daily encounters.
- Schedule patient appointments including new, established, and referral visits.
- Close out provider schedules at the end of the day.
- Collect co-pays and payments for patient visits and/procedures.
- Prepare daily deposit forms and weekly cash collections reports.
- Work any clinic bump lists and scheduling patients in a timely manner.
- Advise patients on insurance specific guidelines and notify them of non-covered services.
- Maintain an open line of communication with LSUHN staff and providers at all times.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned by supervisor.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Requires a general educational background equivalent to a high school diploma or GED.
- At least one year of experience working in a medical environment preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of HIPAA privacy rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Word, Excel Spreadsheets, Windows, databases, graphs and the ability to write reports and correspondence by using proficient grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Able to speak effectively before patients or employees of the organization.
- Ability to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with facility personnel, patients, and the public.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment, and decision-making in meeting department and institutional objectives.
- Ability to analyze data, perform multiple tasks and work independently and efficiently in a matrix reporting role.
- Superior customer service and communication skills are key to this role.
While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or control; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move 25-50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.